Thursday, March 30, 2017

Leggings . . . They Still Aren't Pants

Recently, there was a whole debacle because United Airlines asked two young girls wearing leggings and flying on buddy passes to change before boarding. Like there's so much drama that the world might possibly end over this. While, given the age of the girls, I think they may have been overreacting just a tad, anyone who knows me in real life (or who is lucky enough to be my friend on Facebook) knows that I have a personal calling to stop people from wearing leggings as pants. I have to say "people" because some lone man out there is trying to wear leggings as pants, and he needs to be stopped. Immediately. But before we go any further, here's my disclaimer. If you have no sense of humor, you can go ahead and stop reading now. I am well aware that there are real issues in the world. Heavy issues. But sometimes you just have to address those less earth shattering issues and help people make better clothing choices thus avoiding being plastered all over "People of Walmart". You can thank me later. And if you think I'm making fun of your questionable style choices, ya'll everybody needs a little help now and then. I'm not making fun of you. If I was I wouldn't tell you to stop. Finally, if you're a girl under the age of 10, rock on with those leggings my little friend.

In order to explain the ridiculously simple rules when it comes to wearing leggings, I think we need to establish exactly what is and is not the article of clothing in question

Yoga Pants . . . The media really messes this one up. They are not the same thing. Yes, yoga pants can absolutely be questionable, but for the most part they're thicker and looser than leggings. If they're not, maybe go up a size. Yoga pants are the uniform of stay at home moms everywhere. Can I get an "amen"? No, they're not dressy attire, but they're fine for hanging around the house on a Saturday afternoon, or running to Walmart because, well, it's Walmart, or chasing and cleaning up after your very active three year old. Whatever, they're just not the same thing as leggings.

Jeggings . . .  Talk about questionable territory. They usually contain some denim and are, as a rule, thicker than normal leggings. Just use the brain God gave you on this one. They can go either way, but if they look like you painted them on, yeah, just say "no".

Running/Work Out Leggings . . .  For the 5 days a year it's cold in Texas, I own a few pairs of these. My shirt is rarely long and loose when I wear running leggings. It's too hard to run with a long loose shirt. Here's the thing, if you're not going to work out, just wear a pair of jeans. But if you're headed to the gym after dumping the kids at school, more power to you.

So to what am I referring when I use the term "leggings"?


Anything remotely resembling these. They can be solid or patterned, but they are typically thin, unforgiving, and just a step above tights. 

Now the rules . . . there's actually only one real rule.

Wear a long shirt/tunic/dress over your leggings. Basically, if you wouldn't wear it with tights then there's a good chance you shouldn't wear it with leggings.

That's it. It should give you good coverage of your bum and your front. If it hits you mid thigh, you're golden. If you're a teenager you can get by with a slightly shorter shirt but still leave something to the imagination. Always leave something to the imagination. You'll appreciate that advice one day when you're looking back at photos with your kids.

Contrary to popular belief, I actually have no issues with leggings in and of themselves. I even own a few pairs. They're comfy and perfect to throw under a tunic or sweater dress on a cool day (or if you haven't shaved your legs . . . either way). Just remember. Leggings . . . they still aren't pants.






No comments: